Shelly with HiveMQ Cloud?

Hello
Does someone communicate from a Shelly device to HiveMQ Cloud?

I’m trying but I don’t see any Data traffic.
I can connect with the web client and see the published text with mqtt.fx.

It is a Shelly Uni and I know, that this generation of Shelly doesn’t support SSL.
(“Shelly devices do not support secure MQTT connections” is written somewhere in the www)
Does this mean, it will not work to HiveMQ Cloud?

Thanks,
Martin

Hello @MaMu

Welcome to HiveMQ Community! Yes, that’s correct. Shelly Gen1 series, does not natively support Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption. The early Shelly Gen1 devices were designed to communicate without encryption.

Shelly Gen1 devices are based on an old ESP8266 MCU and Shelly Uni is based on a custom ESP microcontroller, these devices are not powerful enough to work with encryption.

Newer versions of the Shelly devices, such as the Plus and Pro (ESP32 MCU) subsequent models, support TLS encryption natively.

Kind regards,
Diego from HiveMQ Team

Thanks a lot for the answer!
Yes, I tried it with a Shelly Plus 1PM and it worked with no problems!
It’s pity, because I would need the DC voltage measurement…

Could you please tell me how you set up TLS to your device ?
I have tried multiple times and always get rejected

Hello @Apo ,

Thank you for the outreach, and welcome to the HiveMQ Community! We would be happy to assist with some additional information for your device.

First, we’d need to know what device it is, specifically. As Diego has mentioned above,

Shelly Gen1 series, does not natively support Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption. The early Shelly Gen1 devices were designed to communicate without encryption. Shelly Gen1 devices are based on an old ESP8266 MCU and Shelly Uni is based on a custom ESP microcontroller, these devices are not powerful enough to work with encryption. Newer versions of the Shelly devices, such as the Plus and Pro (ESP32 MCU) subsequent models, support TLS encryption natively.

Additionally, we would need to know how your device is currently configured to connect, as well as which HiveMQ services you are looking to connect to - whether this is a HiveMQ Cloud deployment, or a self-hosted HiveMQ environment.

Feel free to let us know here or via a new ticket, and we can certainly assist further. Once again, welcome to the HiveMQ Community!

Best,
Aaron from the HiveMQ Team

Hello!

We have the same MQTT connection issue with Shelly Pro 2 device.

Upon trying to connect to HiveMQ Cloud cluster with 8883 port device says it is disconnected and nothing published on MQTT explorer as well.
with HiveMQ public broker on 1883 port device connects.

Do we need some additional setup for TLS support ?

I got it to work. NOTE the SSL connection part.