Node Red 'connecting' to HIVE MQ

I am using Node Red install on a Raspberry Pi
When using the HIVE Public Broker ( port 1883) , we are getting connected and working
When using the HIVE Cloud Broker( port 8883), the MQTT node just shows the yellow “connecting” message and thus not working.

I have checked our Network Router and opened the NAT Gaming Port 8883 for the Raspberry pi , but that still does not solve the problem.
Any ideas?

Hi @octava,

the public broker does not have any TLS listener whereas the Cloud broker has only TLS listeners.

For you this mean you need to check the “Enable secure (SSL/TLS) connection” box (you can see it in your image already).

As for setting up TLS with Node Red I redirect you to this thread: Node-Red TLS connection

Greetings,
Michael from the HiveMQ team

1 Like

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the response.
I did just now set the “Enable secure (SSL/TLS) connection”
1.entered the user and Passcode that matches the cluster.
2. Also followed instruction to include a “server/CA certificate” from the FAQ
Downloaded from the FAQ…

However it is the same issue, the MQTT node just sits there at “CONNECTING”

Hi @octava ,

Try setting the Client ID and test again:

I hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Dasha from HiveMQ team

Hi Michael,
Entered a client ID ‘myPi1’.
But still the MQTT node still just hangs at “connecting” instead of ‘connected’ ( green)

If anyone has a working NodeRed ‘flow’, please kindly share. As I can see lot of NodeRed community members would want to work IoT with the HIVE MQ

1 Like

Finally got it working.
Did a clean install of:

1. Raspberry OS
  2. Re-installed Node

Red and NODE JS using instructions here.
    Running on Raspberry Pi : Node-RED

So I believe the problem is with node.js version and Node Red versions

1 Like

Thanks for the above posts. I agree that it looks like Node Red is a great way to set up dashboards trends and plots etc. In my case I hope to replicate a system that tracks and detects thermal (occupation of nest box) data from penguins and also aligns RFID tags on the birds to better track seasonal and long term breeding and nesting behavior.

Perhaps a specific topic area for Node Red could be set up by admin ?
The above type of concise post would be a good starter fixed top of list topic.
I would like to share insights as I work out how to set up trends and social media triggers etc for the researchers.

Thanks
~ Andrew

Etc