HiveMQ POC in Isolation

I am building a very contained and isolated POC for a customer. Less than 10 devices with some sort of aggregator or collector of particular device activity. No internet connectivity allowed only wireless or wired from device to “collector”. Looking at HiveMQ seems this may be a way to accomplish this? Use HiveMQ as the “collector” and run some sort of RDB (e.g. postGres) also on same physical machine to capture telemetry from devices. Does this seem feasible with the community edition? Sorry for the newbie question.

Hello @will307 ,

Thank you for the outreach, and first off - welcome to the HiveMQ Community!

Based on the details you’ve provided, it sounds like MQTT could indeed fit the requirements of your configuration, though it is worth mentioning that integration with postGres, as an example, may require some additional configuration or extension implementation.

My first consideration is this : How will the data be ingested to the database?

From the HiveMQ team, this is often solved with the inclusion of an extension, such as our PostGres Enterprise Extension, available here. This allows the broker to provide data directly to the database. It is worth mentioning that this is a paid extension, to be used with a licensed HiveMQ broker, rather than the Community Edition. As this extension is bundled with the licensed version of the HiveMQ Broker, it is also possible to download and test this within the testing period of the broker, and can be obtained here.

Beyond this point, so long as the publishing clients - those that are submitting device activity to the broker - are able to connect to the broker and publish messages, there should be no complications with an isolated setup.

Best,
Aaron from the HiveMQ Team

The POC would merely collect device events and persist them in postGres for subsequent reporting. It sounds like all I need is HiveMQ with the Enterprise Extension?

Hello @will307 ,

Based on the provided details, I believe that the non-Community Edition (the HiveMQ installation available here) combined with the PostGres enterprise extension will fill the needs of this POC nicely.

Do be aware that these are licensed items, and as such will be restricted by the trial terms :

• Trial versions are only for evaluation and testing purposes. Production usage is prohibited.
  • Up to 25 connections are allowed. Please contact us if you require additional connections.
  • The evaluation version of all Enterprise Extensions is limited to operate for only 5 hours. You will need to restart HiveMQ each time you want to reset the 5 hour limit. Please contact us if you would like a longer evaluation license.
  • You can use the trial version without charge for up to 6 months after the download.

Best,
Aaron from the HiveMQ Team