Arduino mkrnb 1500

Any chance there is a “how to” for connecting the mkrnb 1500? I’ve been searching for a way to do this for days and im just not even getting close.

Hi @bugmann69 ,

Great to see your interest in MQTT and HiveMQ, welcome to the community!

Does MKRNB 1500 support MQTT? What HiveMQ broker are you planning it to communicate with:

Have you successfully connected the device to any other MQTT broker, like a Mosquitto broker or similar? Did you have success connecting a broker via SSL or the device only supports unencrypted connections?

Tnx,
Dasha from HiveMQ team

Yes the MKRNB 1500 does support MQTT. I have successfully connected it to the internet but not to any broker. I am fine with connecting to any free broker, and I’m not concerned with making it a secure connection. I have created a successful MQTT connection with an ESP32 board to a local broker, but I don’t understand how to code the 1500 to the cloud. Any help is very appreciated as I am having a hard time with it.

Hello,

I’m testing the connection with MKR 1500 Arduino Board, and I discovered that:

• The MKR 1500 BOARD opens the SSL socket using the SSL capability of the modem.
  • The SSL socket is opened, but at the first message the HiveMQ server refuses the connection with the error code 5.

I investigated about the modem, it seems that it doesn’t support the “SNI” functionality:

Is this feature mandatory ?

If yes, I’ll try to connect using an additional SSL library to compose the message.

regards

SNI is not required for my project. Thank you for your efforts.

Hi @Brinata ,

SNI is required by HiveMQ Cloud. Since your MQTT client is a device it might also require the server certificate: Frequently Asked Questions

I hope this answers your question
Dasha from HiveMQ team