Frequently Asked Questions

This thread contains a list of frequently asked questions about HiveMQ Cloud

Can I use Websockets with HiveMQ Cloud?

As of July 15th HiveMQ Cloud does support Websockets as well.

My device requires a server CA file to connect via TLS. How can I generate this for my HiveMQ Cloud instance?

You can download the root certificate here.
This will create a file called “isrgrootx1.pem”, which you can use as “Server Certiciate”.

How does the billing for HiveMQ Cloud PayAsYouGo work?
  • You get billed $0.10 per device used and $0.15 per GB of data transferred during the current month and the end of each month.
  • HiveMQ Cloud PAYG has no free limits. You are billed from the first device and for all data transferred.
  • Devices refers to the number of concurrently connected devices, as well as offline clients using a persistent session. (MQTTv3: cleanSession=false, MQTTv5: SessionExpiry > 0)
  • You can access your current bill status at: HiveMQ Cloud
My device does no longer (since September 30) trust HiveMQ Cloud. What to do?

HiveMQ Cloud free uses lets encrypt certificates, those certificates are no longer trusted by some older browsers/devices.
See this post

If you provide an API or have to support IoT devices, you’ll need to make sure of two things: (1) all clients of your API must trust ISRG Root X1 (not just DST Root CA X3), and (2) if clients of your API are using OpenSSL, they must use version 1.1.0 or later. In OpenSSL 1.0.x, a quirk in certificate verification means that even clients that trust ISRG Root X1 will fail when presented with the Android-compatible certificate chain we are recommending by default.

In short: You need to make sure to update your devices trust store so that it trusts the LetsEncrypt certificate used by HiveMQ Cloud again.

• Here are the current certificates for LetsEncrypt
  • Update from LetsEncrypt
  • Deep Dive on the topic