Temporary credentials

Is there a programmatic mechanism for creating temporary credentials (e.g., expires after one hour)?

Hi @sgbaird

Thank you for reaching out with your question about temporary credentials in HiveMQ Cloud. Currently, there is no programmatic mechanism for creating temporary credentials that expire after a specified period, such as one hour.

However, we understand the importance of such a feature for many of our users. You are welcome to request this as a new feature. We have created a brief video that explains how you can submit feature requests: Requesting New Features.

Please take a moment to watch the video and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or need assistance.

Best regards,
Dasha from the HiveMQ Team

1 Like

Added a feature request. Thanks! It seems like this is something that could be added to the HiveMQ REST API :: HiveMQ Documentation

So, it looks like I will be able to accomplish this. Before, I thought creation of users wasn’t supported in the API, but after looking again it seems to be possible: HiveMQ Cloud REST API :: HiveMQ Documentation.

As long as I can create and delete users programmatically, it’s not as much of an issue for me that I can’t explicitly specify an expiration time to the API. I can handle that on my end.

A few updates:

1. The HiveMQ Cloud REST API is not available on the free-tier (i.e., would need to go with HiveMQ Cloud Starter plan - est. 249 USD/mo. as of now)
  2. The HiveMQ Cloud Starter plan seems to allow for use of JWT token authentication (a bit unclear whether it’s only Enterprise or if it’s also the Starter plan that allows for this), which is probably the preferred option. See additional discussion at Assigning temporary credentials for remote access to equipment - Tools - Accelerated Discovery

Related:

Hello sgbaird,

Thank you for your updates.

To clarify, the HiveMQ Cloud Starter plan does support JWT token authentication for MQTT clients. This feature is available in the Starter plan, making it a suitable option for security.

Related: Step Up Your MQTT Security with JWT Authentication on HiveMQ Cloud Starter

If you have any further questions or need additional information, please let us know.

Best regards,

Dasha from the HiveMQ Team