SparkPlug POC Implementation

Hi Team,
I want to evaluate Report by Exception feature with HiveMQ Spark Plug.

I am having a free community cloud edition of HiveMQ broker and a MQTT client(MQTTx, MQTTFx, an .NetApplication).

How do I enable and check Report by Exception feature.

Regards,
Viswanath Vankadari

Hi @ViswanathDR

Firstly, it’s crucial to understand that “Report By Exception” is not a feature that is inherently built into any MQTT broker. Instead, this mechanism needs to be implemented on the client-side of the communication. In other words, it is the responsibility of the MQTT Client or Sparkplug Edge Node to detect changes in the monitored data and decide whether or not to send an update to the broker.

In the specific scenario, it appears that the implementation needs to be done in a .NET Application. You will have to devise a strategy to efficiently detect changes in the data and transmit updates to the broker only when necessary.

To achieve that, you could implement a check to detect if the data has changed by a certain percentage. For example, you could choose to publish the current value to the broker only if the data has changed by more than 5% since the last transmitted value.

Another strategy is to implement a check based on a specific value change. Taking temperature as an example, you might decide to send an update to the broker only if the temperature has changed by 2 degrees or more since the last transmitted value.

Both of these strategies aim to reduce network traffic and ensure that the broker and other clients are only notified of significant changes, rather than being flooded with updates for every minor fluctuation in the data.

I hope this clarifies your question.

Kind regards,
Diego from HiveMQ Team