Mqtt websocket connection failure

Dear Team,

i have setup mqtt using docker setup on linux . i have configured Tcp-Tls listener on 8883, and i am connecting through mqttx tool using mqtts://. below is the error which i get

Error: write EPROTO 8530952:error:10000410:SSL routines:OPENSSL_internal:SSLV3_ALERT_HANDSHAKE_FAILURE:…/…/third_party/boringssl/src/ssl/tls_record.cc:594:SSL alert number 40

Could you please help me in resolving this issue, awaiting for your update or help in this regard.

Thank you,
Mohammed.

Hello @raheem12 ,

Typically, an SSL alert 40 indicates that connection settings between the client and server were unable to successfully negotiate connection settings.

To start troubleshooting, I would first have you confirm that the TLS configuration settings for your connecting client meet the requirements for connecting to a HiveMQ broker. This includes cipher suites and TLS versioning.

Additionally, when connecting via TLS to your broker, ensure that if the connecting client requires a server certificate or client certificate, this has been provided to the connecting client before establishing the connection. We have a how-to guide regarding TLS setup with self-signed certificates available within our documentation here.

Best,
Aaron from the HiveMQ Team